Site for original Recipe before changes: www.skinnytaste.com
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 dried pasilla chile, stemmed, seeded, deveinied and torn into small pieces
- 1/2 dried ancho chile, stemmed, seeded, deveinied and torn into small pieces
- 2 tbsp dried whole Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sweet Spanish paprika
- Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in the cumin, coriander, fennel and mustard seeds along with pieces of the pasilla and ancho chiles. Toast stirring consantly until aromatic and just begins to smoke, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool on a plate.
- When room temperature, grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder. Put the powder in a large bowl and combine with remaining spices; stir well to combine.
- Store in an airtight container, for up to one month.
- Makes about 1/2 cup.