A slimmed up version of a classic. This uses flour-thickened low-fat milk combined with a modest amount of tangy sharp Cheddar for one third the fat of a regular serving.
Website credited with original recipe: www.eatingwell.com
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 small onion, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1⅓ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Active 45 m
Ready In 1 h 30 m
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until barely tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, cool and slip off skins.
- Coarsely shred the potatoes in a food processor or with the large-holed side of a box grater.
- Place onion, garlic, flour, salt, dry mustard, cayenne and black pepper in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add ½ cup milk and process until smooth. Scrape into a medium saucepan and add the remaining 2½ cups milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup Cheddar until melted.
- Combine the potatoes and the cheese sauce. Transfer to the prepared pan. Combine the remaining ⅓ cup cheese, breadcrumbs and oil in a small bowl and mix with your fingers. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the potato mixture.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 20 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
|Total Fat 1 g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 9 mg||3 %|
|Sodium 533 mg||22 %|
|Potassium 934 mg||27 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 38 g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12 %|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 8 g||16 %|
|Vitamin A||6 %|
|Vitamin C||24 %|