Site for original Recipe before changes: www.thecountrybasket.com
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (or potato starch)
- 1½ teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon 1% milk
- 1 Lb Kroger 96/4 lean ground beef
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder OR a small, raw onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (or 4 bouillon cubes)
- Drippings from the fried meatballs
- ¼ cup heavy cream (Optional)
- Put the dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl; corn starch, flour, paprika, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add milk and whisk well until no lumps remain.
- Add meat and stir with a spoon until completely combined and sticky.
- Add olive oil or butter to a frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Shape meat balls with spoons or a meatball scoop, dipping your tool of choice in water now and again to keep meat from sticking.
- Drop the meat balls on the frying pan, flattening them a little bit with a turner.
- Cover and fry until browned on the top and bottom, a few minutes on each side.
- Keep hot until ready to serve.
- Serve with brown gravy, potatoes boiled in lightly salted water, and steamed vegetables such as a blend of cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli.
- In a medium sized sauce pan on medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and onion powder. Whisk together into a smooth roux, and cook while whisking now and again until the flour mixture has turned medium-brown. This should take 8-10 minutes.
- Pull away from the heat and add all of the water while quickly whisking together to avoid lumps. But be careful, the flour mixture will be very hot and may hiss loudly when you add cold liquids. Alternatively, you can heat the liquid before adding.
- Also add the beef base, and bring to a boil while whisking often. The gravy will thicken. Reduce the heat and boil gently for 7-10 minutes until smooth. Stir once in a while.
- Add the meatball drippings from frying, which will add a lot of great flavor!
- Add heavy cream and stir well. (Optional)
- Serve over Norwegian meatballs.
We served with Skinny Mashed Potatoes. The calorie count is adjusted for this.
|Total Fat 19 g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 11 g||54 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 113 mg||38 %|
|Sodium 493 mg||21 %|
|Potassium 550 mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 38 g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 30 g||61 %|
|Vitamin A||16 %|
|Vitamin C||32 %|