Do you like bacon cheeseburgers? Try this healthy meatloaf recipe packed with bacon and Cheddar cheese. It has all the flavor of a bacon cheeseburger with none of the guilt. Why’s that? Because I snuck in onions and mushrooms to bulk up the meatloaf (which allows me to actually make two if making freeform) as well as lean beef or turkey.
Website for Original Recipe Before my changes: www.eatingwell.com
Note this can be made freeform or in a pan. I make freeform and make two loaves, then freeze one for up to three weeks. When defrosting, let sit in fridge for a day to defrost, then put at warm in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes and check to see if ready. It will be just like you never froze it. When I do this, I divide both into 6 slices, which means 12 servings. The nutrition for this is based on a pan loaf ( all the meat in one loaf instead of two freeform) with 10 slices.
Freeform loaf for six slices:
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 4 strips center-cut bacon, divided
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
- 2 pounds lean (96%) ground beef or (99%) lean turkey to cut even more fat (it’s still good!)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray (or see Loaf Pan Variation).
- Pulse onion, mushrooms and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. (Or finely chop them with a knife.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Finely chop 2 slices bacon and add to the bowl with the vegetables. Add 3 tablespoons ketchup, relish and Worcestershire; stir to combine. Stir in egg and breadcrumbs. Add ground beef and with clean hands gently knead the vegetable mixture into the meat; do not overmix. Pat the meat mixture into a loaf shape (about 12 by 5 inches) on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup on top. Sprinkle cheese down the middle and place the remaining 2 slices of bacon on each side of the cheese.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
NOTES (with 96% fat free Beef)
Amount Per Serving calories 261
Total Fat 9 g 14 % Saturated Fat 4 g 18 % Monounsaturated Fat 2 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 85 mg 28 % Sodium 419 mg 17 % Potassium 68 mg 2 % Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2 % Dietary Fiber 0 g 2 % Sugars 1 g Protein 25 g 50 % Vitamin A 2 % Vitamin C 0 % Calcium 6 % Iron 15