Website credited with original recipe: www.skinnytaste.com
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy a burger, then I think you’ll love this Hawaiian inspired teriyaki burger made with lean ground beef, carrots, scallions and topped with a homemade pineapple teriyaki sauce and a grilled pineapple.
- 2 lbs 93% ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- 8 whole wheat 100 calorie buns (I used Martin’s)
- 8 lettuce leaves
For the pineapple teriyaki sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
For the burgers:
- Gently combine the ground beef with grated carrots, scallions, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
- Form into 8 equal sized patties, try not to overwork the meat so it doesn’t get tough.
For the teriyaki sauce:
- Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic in small saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add cornstarch water mixture and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the grill. When hot clean the grates and spray with oil.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook on high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until burgers are cooked to your liking.
- While the burgers are cooking, grill the pineapple slices for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun. Top with the cooked burger and 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce, then top with grilled pineapple.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 6 g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 2 g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 70 mg||23 %|
|Sodium 492 mg||20 %|
|Potassium 154 mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 31 g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||16 %|
|Sugars 17 g|
|Protein 29 g||59 %|
|Vitamin A||33 %|
|Vitamin C||30 %|