Site for original Recipe before changes: www.teaspoonofspice.com
For the mushrooms:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 20 ounces baby bella or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the “cheese whiz” sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk (warmed for 1 minute in microwave)
- 4 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat rolls
- In a grill pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and grill for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add soy sauce and black pepper, stir and grill for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
- Place rolls, cut side down on pan and grill for a few minutes until toasted.
- While mushrooms are grilling, make cheese sauce by placing a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add butter and once melted, whisk in flour.
- Slowly pour in warm milk, whisking constantly. Whisk frequently until sauce thickens (about 2 – 3 minutes.)
- Slowly whisk in cheese and whisk until melted. Remove from stove.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide mushrooms evenly among 4 rolls. Pour cheese sauce over mushrooms and serve immediately.
|Total Fat 23 g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 9 mg||3 %|
|Sodium 459 mg||19 %|
|Potassium 570 mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 41 g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||11 %|
|Sugars 13 g|
|Protein 22 g||44 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||4 %|