I buy the 99% fat free turkey and meld with my Italian sausage seasoning. Faster than squeezing the meat out of casings, cheaper than buying premium Italian sausages and you know exactly what goes in it!
Website for Original Recipe Before my changes below: www.recipetineats.com
- 8 oz Ancient Harvest penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion (brown, white or yellow), finely chopped
- 1 lb 99% fat free turkey (with Italian Sausage Seasoning)
- 20 ounces Muir Glen Tomato Puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar (any type)
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook ziti for the recommended cooking time on the packet MINUS 2 minutes. (Note 5) Drain and transfer to baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add pork mince and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it turns from pink to white. Add Sausage Seasonings and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the ziti. Top with cheese. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving calories 354 % Daily Value * Total Fat 7 g 11 % Saturated Fat 2 g 11 % Monounsaturated Fat 3 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 58 mg 19 % Sodium 1347 mg 56 % Potassium 554 mg 16 % Total Carbohydrate 44 g 15 % Dietary Fiber 6 g 23 % Sugars 6 g Protein 26 g 53 % Vitamin A 35 % Vitamin C 26 % Calcium 11 % Iron 25 %