Why do I like making my own seasonings and sauces? Because I have no preservative, additives, and know EXACTLY what is going into it.
This is a nice and easy seasoning, I like to grind the fennel seeds, then put the other dry ingredients in and grind them together with my mortar and pestle.
I then let the meat meld with the seasonings overnight for maximum flavor. Viking has thought several times a 99% fat free ground turkey was Italian beef or pork due to this seasoning. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/3 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/3 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/3 tablespoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place the pork and red wine vinegar in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, paprika, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, brown sugar, oregano, and thyme. Knead until flecks of spice are evenly distributed through the sausage.
- Divide the sausage into thirds, and form into 3 logs; wrap each in plastic wrap. Place wrapped sausage into a freezer bag before freezing, or store in refrigerator for at least 12 hours before cooking.
(After mixing the meat with seasoning, you should look something like this. This was 99% fat free turkey I melded with the spices)