Fire roasted tomatoes, diced jalapeno, onion and garlic come together to create a magnificent base for this salsa, but the addition of fresh cilantro and lime juice really take it over the top.
Website for Original Recipe Before changes below: theslowroasteditalian
Yield: 4 (1/2 cup servings)
Categories: mexican, sauce, vegetarian
- 1/4 medium white onion, peeled
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos (from a can) OR 1 medium fresh jalapeno, stem removed and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Hunt’s fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, Low sodium
- 1/2 fresh lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Add onion, jalapeno and garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the bits are your desired size, about 5 or 6 times. Open cover, scrape down sides. Add remaining ingredients, pulse 1 or 2 times to combine.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately or transfer to a pint jar and store in the refrigerator. It becomes even more flavorful the next day. Enjoy!
- The canned diced jalapenos are packed with citric acid NOT vinegar. Add about 2 tablespoons (canned jalapenos) per 1 fresh jalapeno with seeds and veins (called for in the recipe) . If you want medium-mild, start with 1 tablespoon
COOK’S NOTES: Salsa keeps fresh in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
MILD SALSA: remove the veins and seeds from the jalapeno
UTTERLY MILD SALSA: use 2 tablespoons green chiles
MEDIUM SALSA: Prepare as written
HOT SALSA: Use 2 jalapenos, veins and seeds included