Original Recipe before changes : www.justapinch.com
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 c dairy buttermilk
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika or cayenne pepper or some of each
- black pepper to taste
- 1 qt about canola oil
- Slice onion very thin, then in half.
- Soak in cold water; set aside. Heat oil in deep skillet or fryer or Dutch oven to 375^to 400^.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Drain onions. Toss into flour mixture, shake off excess, then in buttermilk, then back in flour mixture- shaking off excess flour.
- Plunge into hot oil.Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
- Repeat until all are fried.