Site for original Recipe before changes: www.skinnyms.com
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, (optional vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine in a small bowl, cornstarch, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, tomato paste, broth, and chili powder mixture, set aside.
- In a medium skillet, over medium-low heat, add canola oil and sauté garlic until fragrant, approximately one minute. Gradually stir in tomato sauce mixture and cilantro, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until thickened, approximately 15 minutes.