One of my go to recipes. Smoked on a grill, hickory seasoning and blacking spices bring out the flavor of Denver in the summer. Oh, and even though it’s a touch higher than it’s healthy too! We served with my Crispy Potato Wedges.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Olive oil (as needed)
- 8 ounces 93% Lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or steak sauce
- 1 tsp of Blackening Spice
- 1 tsp of Hickory Smoke Dry rub
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices Sara Lee 45 calorie Wheat Bread
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 leaves green-leaf lettuce
- 4 slices bacon (optional)
- Prepare barbecue grill (medium-high heat). Smoke chips under grill if you wish to smoke the burgers.
- Using the meat, in a bowl, mix Worcestershire sauce, Blackening Spice and Hickory Smoke into meat. If dry, use a touch of olive oil to remoisten mixture. Form into two patties.
- Grill until slightly charred, about 4 minutes; turn and cook the other side until the beef reaches a safe internal temperature of 165º F.
- Top each with 1 cheese slice. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute longer.
- Place burgers atop bottom halves of buns. Garnish with onion and tomato slices. Use bacon if you wish.
- Cover with bun tops and serve with your favorite toppings!