Site for original Recipe before changes: www.greatist.com
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 pounds ripe tomatoes, stem section removed and cut into small chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a large, wide skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, increase the heat to high, and season with salt and pepper. Add herbs and spices, and stir to combine.
- When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 to 2 hours (the longer it goes, the less chunky it will become), stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.