Site for original Recipe before changes: www.theadventurebite.com
- 3 quarts ripened red peppers (mostly jalapenos)
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar (start with ¼ cup increase to taste)
- 1 lime
- 1 tbs. cumin
- 2 tbs. honey
- Grill the peppers and onion over a charcoal grill until a nice char forms.
- Add everything to a bowl, or blender and begin pureeing.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and lime as you blend but don’t add it all at once so you can regulate how wet the sauce gets.
- Add a table spoon of cumin and a pinch of salt to taste.
- Taste the sauce and cut it with honey in order to find that perfect balance of sweet, tangy, smoky, and spicy.
- If desired, strain the sauce through a metal strainer for a smoother texture.
- The flavors get better as the sauce ages in the fridge.