- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, grated, or 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 basil sprig
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar (more to taste)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced parsley or slivered basil (optional)
- Form the meat into 20 small meatballs, use a tablespoon for a guide
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium heavy saucepan. Add the onion.
- Cook, stirring often, until tender, about five minutes. Stir in the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil sprig, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stir and reduce the heat.
- Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until cooked down and very fragrant. Remove the basil sprig.
- Stir in the vinegar, the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the optional parsley or basil.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot or cold.
|Total Fat 12 g
|Saturated Fat 2 g
|Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
|Trans Fat 0 g
|Cholesterol 70 mg
|Sodium 234 mg
|Potassium 418 mg
|Total Carbohydrate 16 g
|Dietary Fiber 8 g
|Sugars 4 g
|Protein 34 g